The original foundation or memorial Stone was laid in 1891 by Clara Clark, the sister of The Reverend Walter Clark, a previous headmaster of the school. It was thought that there was a time capsule buried beneath the stone and we were very careful to dislodge the stone with a view to finding this capsule. However no such item was found much to our and the Old Derbeians disappointment. We hope to find the stone a place in the new building here at Kings Crescent, so as to maintain the history of the site and its memories.
For those interested in the history of the Derby School, here is the link to the Old Derbeians web site where you will find some interesting facts and past memories of those who attended the school.
Thanks to Andrew Polkey and Barry Sheard, two former pupils at the school, we have been able to learn a great deal about the chapel and its early life.
Constructed in 1891 the first part of building was the focal point of the schools and brought many happy memories to Andrew and Barrie during their site visit. Paid for by public subscription of £2500 the chapel was later extended to account for the school expansion.
We have donated a piano found in the old chapel building to a local nursery. We wanted it to go to the nursery so that it could be valued and used by the children attending the nursery. Staff were ecstatic to receive the piano and it is now being used to teach children music.